Saturday, August 1, 2015

Author Interview with MB Feeney


AUTHOR INTERVIEW - MAGIC OF BOOKS PROMOTIONS



MB Feeney


M. B. Feeney is an army brat who finally settled down in Birmingham, UK with her other half, two kids and a dog. Currently at university studying for her BA (Hons) in Primary Teaching, she procrastinates on her assignments by listening to music of all genres and trying to get 'just one more paragraph' written on whichever WIP is open. She is also a serious doodler and chocoholic. Writing has been her one true love ever since she could spell, and publishing is the final culmination of her hard work and ambition.

Her publishing career began with two novellas, and was followed by Honour, a compilation of her own military based shorts, released on 1st November 2013. Always having something on the go can often lead to block which eventually gets dissolved by good music and an even better book.

Juggling kids, school, and writing is a balancing act, but it keeps her on her toes and out of (too much) trouble.



Tell the readers a little about you.
Hi, I’m the wrong side of 35 and I live in the UK with my other half, my two kids, and my dog. I’ve been writing for forever, but only considered other people would want to read my work about 3 years ago. It’s been a slow and steady procedure, but I’m getting there.

What genre you mostly write in and why?
I mostly write chick lit/romance that features (or so I’m told) humour. I like to write about regular people facing regular problems in their relationships. I’m not a huge fan of billionaire playboy types because I like my books – those I write and read – to be realistic and for my readers to be able to relate.

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?
L. A. Cotton has written two wonderful NA series’ that I literally stop what I’m doing to read when she has a new release. Her stories are the type that literally pull you in and get you rooting for that elusive HEA.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
There are two things I struggle with. Dialogue and sex. It not that I can’t write them, I just find it a little monotonous. I get scared that it’ll come across as bland and wooden – but my pre readers often put me at ease and tell me I worry over nothing.
Editing. Hands down. I find it extremely boring and repetitive, but I understand why it needs doing. I’ve been lucky, my editors have been fabulous and so helpful to help me retain my ‘voice’.
Are experiences within your books based on someone you know, or events in your own life?
Uhm… The One That Got Away is semi-autobiographical. Well, the main character’s back story is, not the rest of it. Honour, however, is quite possibly the most personal of my books. I come from a family that has a long history with the British Army and I have the utmost respect for servicemen and women which is why I wanted to write something honouring them. I hope I have achieved that.

Do you see writing as a career?
I would LOVE to be able to have ‘Author’ on my resume, but I know it’s highly unlikely to happen. Having said that, I will continue to write and publish books as long as there people reading and enjoying them.

Can you share a little of your current work with us?
This is a teaser from my current WIP, ‘It Started in Texas’
My heart was beating so hard I was surprised no-one could hear it through my chest. I had no idea what I was doing, and was shocked by the fact that I was even doing it. I reached the door leading to a short corridor that led to the bathrooms, but before I could push it open, I was grabbed from behind and dragged into a little nook behind the stage. Asqueal escaped me, but a finger was placed on my lips to quieten me. Gage looked right at me, a soft smile on his face.
"About time too. I've wanted to do this ever since I spotted you in the crowd." I hadn’t even opened my mouth to answer when Gage crushed his lips to mine, ghosting his tongue over my top lip. Instinct made me open to him, allowing him to control the pace of our touches. He groaned at the contact causing my knees to weaken at the animalistic sound.
Without breaking us apart, he walked me backwards until I was leaning up against a cold, bare brick wall, allowing him to press the full length of his body to mine. I could feel a tell-tale bulge of his erection digging into my leg through his jeans which surprised me. I'd assumed that because I wasn't a local, I was fair game. I’d never seen the possibility he was in deed attracted to me rather than looking for a quick fumble. Maybe there was more to this situation than I’d realised. Once again, instinct took over and I couldn't help but grind my hips into his, causing him to buck against me. Our movements caused him to pull away and look at me, his eyes boring into mine, his chest heaving from the kiss.
Looking around the space we were in, he suddenly grinned as he picked me up and wrapped my legs around his waist before walking away from the wall. He started to kiss me deeply again as we moved, but this time it was less frenzied, yet still full of wanting and raw passion. I felt something hit my backside; it wasn't until he slid me backwards, that I realised he'd spotted a table and I was now sat on it. Keeping my legs wrapped round his waist, I tangled my hands into his hair and deepened the kiss further.
"You are so fucking hot." He spoke against my skin as he moved his lips down, kissing, licking, and nipping at my neck and collar bone; the sharpness of his teeth followed by a soothing swipe of his tongue made me tremble. I felt his hands at the waistband of my shorts. "And these. Well, these babies should be immortalised and put in a frame." He snapped open the button and slowly pulled down the zip. I held my breath as he slid his hand inside of my underwear.

Are there misconceptions that people have about your book?  If so, explain. 
With my novella, Just Like in the Movies, a lot of people mentioned that they expected it to be a story involving a girl meeting a film star… they were pleasantly surprised.

Are you a full-time or part-time writer?  How does that affect your writing?
Sadly, I am part time. As a mother and, up until recently, a full time student, fitting in writing time has been sometime problematic.

What do you like to read in your free time?
Anything and everything. I don’t restrict myself to one genre. I run a book review blog, which is more for myself, but also to support other authors out there.

What projects are you working on at the present?
I am currently working on a ‘rockstar’ romance called ‘It Started in Texas’ which I wrote originally about five years ago. It needs a lot of work, but I’m hoping to release it towards the end of this year.

What do your plans for future projects include?
I have a number of WIPs on the go, one of which is the second in a YA series that I started with ‘Dear Diary’. Another is a NA romance set in 1990’s London. I am having a lot of fun writing that as I get to relive my teenage years. Others are similar to what I already have published. One day, I would love to attempt to write a Dystopian novel as it is a genre I have read for many years.

1 comment: