Saturday, June 20, 2015

Author Interview: Tania Sparks

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - MAGIC OF BOOKS PROMOTIONS



TANIA SPARKS


The first thing you need to know about me is that I genuinely believe in true love and soul mates. I met my wonderful husband when we were still at school. I was sixteen, he was seventeen, we are high school sweethearts. Now more than twenty five years later, we are still very much in love and are happily married with two beautiful children. We live in picturesque New Zealand and I consider ourselves lucky to live in this magnificent part of the world. 

I do have a full time job, but in my spare minutes I enjoy spending time with my family, cooking and reading. I'm an avid reader and tend to chomp through a large volume of books, mainly in the romance genre. And of course my other major 'hobby' is writing steamy rock star erotic romances!

I started writing in early 2014. After spending many years writing business documentation, and constantly being inspired by numerous romance novels, I decided to try my hand at fictional writing. After penning my first scene I discovered that I enjoyed it immensely and so resolved to continue with the rest of the story that was swirling in my imagination. That story resulted in my first novel, Heaven Sent. 

My Oblivion on Tour Series follows the five band members of the hard rock group Oblivion. Each book in the series follows a different band member and their quest for love. 

Book 1 - Heaven Sent - Ash and Eve's story
Book 2 - Bolt From The Blue - Nikki and Trixie's story
Books 3, 4 & 5 will each tell Cody, Scott and Hansen's stories.

I hope you enjoy reading my books as much as I enjoy writing them. 



Tell the readers a little about you.

The first thing you need to know about me is that I genuinely believe in true love and soul mates. I met my wonderful husband when we were still at school. I was sixteen, he was seventeen, we are high school sweethearts. Now more than twenty five years later, we are still very much in love and are happily married with two beautiful children. We live in picturesque New Zealand and I consider ourselves lucky to live in this magnificent part of the world.

I do have a full time job, but in my spare minutes I enjoy spending time with my family, cooking and reading. I’m an avid reader and tend to chomp through a large volume of books, mainly in the romance genre. And of course my other major ‘hobby’ is writing steamy rock star erotic romances!

My Oblivion on Tour Series follows the five band members of the hard rock group Oblivion. Each book in the series follows a different band member and their quest for love. I have published two books so far in this series, Heaven Sent and Bolt From The Blue. I am currently working on Book three.


What genre you mostly write in and why?

I write rock star erotic romances. There is just something inherently sexy about a man that can play an instrument! These guys tend to be cocky, confident, know how to have fun and can rock it both on stage and in the bedroom!


What inspired you to write your first book?

I’m fairly new to all this, having started writing in early 2014. After spending many years writing business documentation, and constantly being inspired by numerous romance novels, I decided to try my hand at fictional writing. After penning my first scene I discovered that I enjoyed it immensely and so resolved to continue with the rest of the story that was swirling in my imagination. That story resulted in my first novel, Heaven Sent. Bolt From The Blue soon followed.


What do you like to read in your free time?

There are so many amazing authors out there. These are a few of my all-time favorites:

Thoughtless Series – S.C. Stephens

Driven Series – K. Bromberg

Sinners on Tour Series – Olivia Cunning

This Man Series – Jodi Ellen Malpas

Breathless Series – Maya Banks


What are your current projects?

I am currently working on book three in my Oblivion on Tour Series which follows Cody and Kitty’s story . It is yet untitled.


Can you share a little of your current work with us?

Sure, here it is. Cody’s the drummer…here’s a cheeky snippet which is from Cody’s viewpoint…(unedited of course!)

We’re all sitting around, drinking our beers. I’m slouched down on one of the armchairs that I’ve claimed as my own. I’m twirling my drumsticks and tapping away on my legs and the surrounding furniture.

I’m a couple or three beers in when I hear the door to the suite open. I glance across to see Nikki, our rhythm guitarist and his girl Trixie strolling in jovially, Nikki’s arm is draped over her shoulders and she’s securely tucked into his side.

I lift my head and somberly greet them, “Hey.”

Nikki bobs his head in acknowledgement and Trixie waves her hand to say hi.

I expect them to close the door but instead the most stunning girl on the fucking planet glides in behind them. She has smooth jet black hair that flows down her back and it’s so long it reaches her ass. She’s tall, probably almost as tall as me and her body rocks. She’s slim, but has nicely rounded hips and amazing tits. Her emerald green eyes are sparkling boldly as she scans the room confidently like she owns the place. I immediately jump up from my chair, drop my drumsticks to the floor and feel an undeniable rousing in my pants. Hell, maybe my day won’t be so bad after all. I feel better already!

The other guys all stand up too. Fuck off cock-suckers, she’s mine!

I take a step forward as the raven haired beauty suddenly shrieks in an oddly familiar voice, “Oh my god! Hi guys. I’ve missed y’all so much!”

Fuck, fuck, fuck! My muddled brain suddenly clicks and makes the connection as I realize that the hottie that has my body vibrating like a god-damned amplifier is Kitty, Nikki’s little sister. Holy Crap!


What was the hardest part of writing your books?

Honestly, I don’t find the writing that hard. What is hard is finding the time to do it! My characters are constantly chatting away in my head and telling me their story, my challenge is to get it all down on paper before it disappears or gets lost in the next part of the story!


What is the biggest thing that people THINK they know about your subject/genre, that isn't so?

Rock star erotic romance is not just sex, drugs and rock and roll. Rock stars are people too! They have feelings, dreams, aspirations, troubles and issues. Also rock stars never fall for the groupie or fan-girl. The girls that steal their hearts are normally from other parts of their life or are industry insiders. Groupies and fan-girls are who rock stars play with until they find the one girl that knocks them off their feet, usually shocking the hell out of them!


Are you a full-time or part-time writer? How does that affect your writing?

I am definitely a part-time writer! I have a full time job where I work 40-50 hours a week, I am involved with my husband’s business and also have a busy family to look after.


How do you find or make time to write?

Planning, scheduling and stubborn determination! Most morning’s I’m up by 4am or 5am tapping on my keyboard to get some writing time before heading off to work. I spend an hour or so each evening and I try to fit in as many hours on the weekend as I can, without completely neglecting my family!


Do you write more by logic or intuition, or some combination of the two? Summarize your writing process.

I definitely write by the seat of my pants. I have a rough idea where a story is going to take me and how the characters are going to develop, but the story comes to me as I write. Those pesky characters of mine tell me where they want the story to go and I just record what they tell me.


What are some ways in which you promote your work? Do you find that these add to or detract from your writing time?

I do a lot of promotion on Facebook. I try to participate in as many spotlights and takeovers as I can. I have also recently set up a street team. Promotion definitely detracts me from my writing time - there are only so many hours in the day. I find that I have to be very strict with myself, otherwise I end up spending hours trolling Facebook and then I suddenly realize I’ve run out of writing time!

No comments:

Post a Comment